February 23, 2012

The Cowboy Takes a Bride by Lori Wilde

**This review is part of the Amazon Vine Program**

Yay for cowboy romances! Seriously, I think they're about my favorite type of romances. Something about a guy in a stetson does a girl good. At the very least I get to live vicariously.

When Mariah inherits a little piece of ranch land from her estranged father, her first thought is to sell it and get out of there. She's a city girl, and even though she's down on her luck, she has some plans for herself. But that changes when she comes into contact with Joe Daniels. Joe is a widower, and still grieving, but there's something about him that gets Mariah's attention. And the feeling is mutual as Joe starts to feel a spark he thought long gone after his wife's death. But they can't seem to keep from arguing, and Mariah plans on leaving, so their's is a relationship that just won't work. At least not in their minds.

I like Mariah, she's spunky, has an idea of what she wants, but at the same time can remain aloof. She protects herself. And I can understand that completely. Its hard to get out there all the way after you've been burned. Which makes Joe a good match for her. He's been burned too and isn't interested in rushing into anything. And hey, he's a cowboy, that's always a good attribute. The side characters were ok. I liked some better than others. Ila I found annoying and kind of unneeded. She was just a side plot to throw in some interest I think and so her personality didn't come through very well. Mariah's father, while dead, actually played a pretty big role and I think the author did a good job of describing him and why he was the way he was.

For a romance, this was pretty funny. There were some good punch lines here and there and I found the book amusing. The plot too wasn't as sappy as I thought it was going to be, considering it involved a wedding planner. I actually like how the author kept it mostly realistic. Now since this is a romance there is sex and sex descriptions and that sort of stuff in it. But that's pretty much par for the course when it comes to these books. The writing for the rest of the book was southern and homey and easy to read.

I liked it. I would probably read more from this author. A nice way to round out a long stressful day.

The Cowboy Takes a Bride
Copyright 2012
348 pages

No comments:

Post a Comment