February 05, 2012

Liver Let Die by Liz Lipperman

Don't order the foie gras. If you don't take anything else from this book, at least take that. As you may have guessed, this is a cozy/foodie mystery.

Jordan is getting by at her job, writing personals when she would rather be working in the sports section. So when an opening comes up (temporary mind you) for the food column, she reluctantly takes it. And after a unique experience at a restaurant involving foie gras, she gets pretty famous for her column. But then her waiter shows up dead at her apartment complex and she gets a little more than she bargained for too. When a few more murders happen, well that's just icing on the cake and some of the evidence seems to point at Jordan making her a suspect.

I like Jordan. I like that she can't cook and writes a food column. It shows just how much people can bs which is completely truthful. She also has a lot of spunk and isn't afraid of standing up for herself. Her love interst Alex, I really didn't get. It was hard to figure out his motivations anyway, but at least he seemed to be a good guy. And she has an interesting group of friends and neighbors, and I thought they added a charming balance to the story. They were kind of kooky, but still extremely nice.

For a mystery, I have to say I kinda knew what was going to happen from the beginning. And even the bad guys were pretty easy to guess, although there were a ton of them. So I won't give it a full five stars as a result. I like a little more mystery to my mystery. The romance element was ok, but I would have liked for there to be more. Since it was a foodie book, I was happy to see recipes at the end, but food played a smaller role in the book itself. This book was more abou tthe mystery and perhaps friendship as well.

A good beginning to the Clueless Cook mystery series. I'll definitely read the next one.

Liver Let Die
Copyright 2011
278 pages

No comments:

Post a Comment