February 03, 2012

An Unlikely Match by Arlene James

Ack! Yet another romance that is far below par. I'm not choosy when it comes to romances, but I like them to at least make sense. And this one just didn't do it for me.

Asher knows that when he is called in to help a family friend, that it will be anything but simple. Devoted to his career, he does try to make time for his triplet aunts, but really is too busy most the time. And considering the client is Ellie, who is his younger sister's friend, he really doesn't want to be involved. Ellie's grown up, and a little too much to his liking, especially since after his divorce he's promised not to get involved again. He isn't relationship material, but Ellie can be pretty compelling.

The characters were terrible in this book. Asher is not a good leading man. He's arrogant, a jerk and I really can't see why Ellie likes him. Ellie, when I wasn't confused by her being called Ellen at times, wasn't that great either. She was too simpering and weak, and while she seemed to be a nice person, I think she was looking for love in all the wrong places. I actually liked the side characters in this book better. They were colorful and had better personalities.

This book was very very preachy. I didn't realize it was going to be a Christian romance novel, so while there are no sex scenes, it more than takes up space with endless prayers to God and saying about how faith rules their lives. I can handle Christian fiction when it isn't preachy, but this was over the top. The romance part of it too was just a little blah. Like I said before, I just couldn't figure out the chemistry between the main characters.

Not a good one for me. I'll be staying far away from the Love Inspired series from now on.

An Unlikely Match
Copyright 2011
217 pages

No comments:

Post a Comment