September 14, 2012

The Betrayal by Beverly Lewis

The Betrayal is the second book in the Abram's daughters series. If you haven't read the first book go back and start there. This is definitely the kind of series that is supposed to be read in order.

Leah is having a hard time with herself, keeping her sister Sadie's secret. Even though her Aunt knows too it weighs heavy on her heart. She has her beau Jonas to to take her mind off things and also plan the wedding. But even things with him aren't rushing along quite the way they're supposed to. Not to mention her father still would rather see her with the neighbor boy. Meanwhile, the twins are trying to figure out their lives, and Mary Ruth has been caught with her books. She wants desperately to learn, but in this family it doesn't seem to be a possibility.

Leah is about the only redeeming character in this book. She's the only one who seems to be honest and has a heart. The rest have their own agendas and can be so selfish and horrible that it's hard to believe they're real people. Sadie especially I can't stand. I know I'm supposed to feel sorry for her but I just can't. The twins, Leah's mother, and a good portion of the other characters are written kind of flat, and don't really have a great deal of time or personality in this book. And Leah's beau Jonah, well I liked him in the first book but am completely perplexed by him in this one. His decisions just do not make sense.

This plot was merely filler. Since there's five books in the series I'm almost horrified that the story is going to be stretched that long. There's just a lot of added fluff that takes away from the main plotline of Leah and her love life. And while I am eager to read the next book to find out what happens, I can't help but wish it would get there a little quicker. I do have to say that this book was considerably more preachy than the first one. I know these are considered Christian fiction since they are Amish fiction, but the use of religion was extremely heavy handed in this one. Lewis made her point and then some.

I'll keep reading of course. It's a decent story and I want to be there for the end of it. I just hope it starts to follow a more logical course.

The Betrayal
Copyright 2003
358 pages

No comments:

Post a Comment