January 01, 2014

A Thousand Days in Venice by Marlena De Blasi

This is a love story more than a travel story.  And not all of those thousand days are spent in Venice.  I actually read the sequel to this book "A Thousand Days in Tuscany" before I read this book.  I really don't think it matters what order you read them in though.

De Blasi was in Venice for a job.  With a few friends she was scoping out some wine bars, working on an article.  When she goes to leave though she's told by the owner that she has a phone call.  It turns out to be a man who has admired her from afar.  Many phone calls later she agrees to meet him, and this stranger becomes a new journey in life for her.

Peter, I mean Fernando, looks like Peter Sellers.  No really, De Blasi reminds us of this nearly ever chapter.  He seems sullen and moody to me and I'm not sure what the attraction is, but she seems to like him well enough.  De Blasi herself really likes the physical things in life.  Food, fabric, and other such novelties.  Which I can't blame her for.  I'm obsessed with the same things myself.  And I think she's brave for leaving most everything behind to live somewhere else, although I do think it was a little foolhardy.  I would have liked to hear more about the other people they interacted with, but it didn't get beyond little snippets on anyone else.

So there actually wasn't much of Venice described.  There was some, and a lot of description about food, but overall this was a love story and the story of how she met her husband.  Not what I was expecting but at least the small amount of travel and food kept me through it. I did like the descriptions of the food, De Blasi definitely deserves her spot as a food writer as she is able to write about food in an evocative way.  You can almost taste it.   It's a small book, and the back of it actually has a bunch of recipes and a section on what to do in Venice.  There's also a reading group section. 

Not a book for those looking to learn about Venice I think, but if you want a little love story with some food, this is probably going to be up your alley.

A Thousand Days In Venice
Copyright 2002
272 pages

No comments:

Post a Comment