February 16, 2014

People of the Silence by Kathleen O'Neal Gear and W. Michael Gear

I'd have to say that this is probably one of my least favorite books in the series so far.  Way too much going on and way too many jumbled storylines.  The eighth book in The First North Americans series, it's not important to read the books in order, you can read it as a stand alone.

There's a lot of intrigue afoot in Talon Town.  The Blessed Sun is dying, and his son, his successor, is just about as crazy as he is.  In the course of dying a few secrets are let out though, and the lives of some children in a different town are now at stake.  Add in a couple of odd spiritual men, a few warriors, and a witch and you've got the makings for a party.

There are a lot of characters in this book.  And it's hard to keep track of them all and how they are related.  And because the parentage is a mystery and speculated much on in this book it becomes even harder to figure out who's who.  Sure there are little clues here and there, but there are some clues not given out that would help with the characterization as well. Cornsilk is ok, she remained about as confused as I was through the entire book so I could relate to her.  Same thing with Poor Singer, he too was just struggling along.  All the adults however were a bit crazy and selfish in my opinion. 

As I said before there was too much going on.  Things jumped around, people were supposedly spawned by other people and then that changed and they were spawned by other people.  And there was a witch in there somewhere doing terrible things to yet other people.  It got a little wearisome and I felt like I was on a merry-go-round because these things kept reoccurring.  Nothing ever really felt like it was totally resolved.  I think the book could have been about half the size and told a more straight forward story. 

I'd give it two and a half stars.  If you're a big fan of the series you'll want to read it but just as a book on its own, I really don't think it's worth it.

People of the Silence
Copyright 1996
643 pages


No comments:

Post a Comment